About the Buddy Walk of the Valley
| || || |
- The Buddy Walk of the Valley is the largest fundraising event for the Down Syndrome Association of the Valley.
- In the past five years, through the support of area residents, businesses and schools we raised over $400,000 to support those in Eastern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania who have Down syndrome.
- The Buddy Walk was developed by the National Down Syndrome Society in 1995 to celebrate Down Syndrome Awareness Month in October and to promote acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome.
- Over the past seventeen years, the Buddy Walk program has grown from 17 walks to nearly 250 planned for 2012 worldwide. In 2011, more than $11.2 million was raised nationwide to benefit local programs & services, as well as the national advocacy and public awareness initiatives of the NDSS that benefit all individuals with Down syndrome.
- The Buddy Walk is a celebration walk in which anyone can participate without special training. It is a wonderful, heart-warming event that celebrates the many abilities and accomplishments of people with Down syndrome.
- Whether you have Down Syndrome, know someone who does, or just want to show your support, come and join the Buddy Walk of the Valley 2013!
2013 Walk Details
- 9:00 - Registration, Pre-Walk entertainment and music
- 10:00 - Greeting and TOP 10 TEAM announcements. - Listen for line-up instructions!
- 10:15 - Warm up
- 10:30 - Kick off, led by the #1 High School Challenge Team
- 11:00 - Post-Walk Entertainment-Enjoy food, music, bouncers, dunk tank, basket raffles, and more.
About the Down Syndrome Association of the Valley
| || || |
The Down Syndrome Association of the Valley (DSAV) is a non-profit organization established to support, advocate and be a resource for those with Down syndrome and their families in Eastern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania.
The DSAV opened its first awareness center, the DSAV Center for Success in October of 2009. Located at 945 Boardman-Canfield Rd. in Boardman Ohio, the Center for Success offers a centralized location for materials, classes and meetings.
Serving our communities with the funds we raise by providing...
hundreds of new Down syndrome books and resources for the Trumbull, Mahoning, Columbiana, Mercer, Lawrence and Beaver County libraries and schools.
new parent packs along with support materials for members, educators and healthcare professionals in Trumbull, Mahoning, Columbiana, Jefferson, Belmont, Monroe and Washington counties in Ohio and Mercer, Lawrence, Beaver and Butler counties in PA.
funds for the DSAV Family Grant program. Since the inception of our Family Grant Program in January 2009, almost $40,000 has gone directly to help pay for medical services, therapies, activities, classes, devices and resources for our DSAV families.
over $10,000 in educational resources including 44 iPads to our active members as part of our Literacy, Arts, and Math program.
a total of $4,000 in academic scholarships to individuals persuing college degrees in fields directly benefitting those with Down syndrome.
Buddy Walk of the Valley 2012 Slide Show
Loading Slide Show...
| || |
REGISTRATION FOR THE 2013 BUDDYWALK OF THE VALLEY IS NOW OPEN!
*Registrations and donations made by check must be received in the DSAV officee by NOON on 7/22/13 in order to be added to Team Totals and to guarantee t-shirts for the day of the walk.
| || |
Our 2013 Buddy Walk of the Valley overall fundraising goal is $75,000! Team fundraising, corporate sponsorship, basket raffle and dunk tank participation will help the DSAV reach this goal!
Buddy Walk of the Valley 2013 TEAM FUNDRAISING Goal!
| Goal |